STA Metallic Color Pen (1mm Bullet Tip) Review 斯塔金属彩色笔

斯塔金属彩色笔
Kindly Note: If you find the images somewhat blur, clicking into it will show you a much clearer version

These Metallic Pens are honestly everywhere. Whether I’m browsing online at Shopee, Lazada, Taobao, Amazon, Wish, Aliexpress, or in a store, I’ll see it. After 5 years, I think it’s time to give it a shot.

Product Specifications

  • Quantity: 10Pcs/box
  • Pen Length: Approx. 16.5cm / 6.50inch
  • Pen Refill Thickness: Approx. 1mm / 0.04inch
  • Product Weight: Approx. 82g (Package Included + 10×Color Pen)
  • Characteristic
    • Water-based ink, xylene-free
    • For opaque writing and decorating even on dark and colored paper
    • Lightfast and *indelible
      [*Definition of indelible: (of ink or a pen) making marks that cannot be removed.]
    • Ten metallic colors 10金属色:
      Gold (M01) 金、Silver (M08) 银、Metallic Red (M02) 红、Metallic Blue (M03) 蓝、Bronze (M04) 古铜、Metallic Green (M05) 绿、Metallic Violet / Purple (M06)紫、Metallic Aqua / Sea-green (M35) 湖绿、Metallic Black (M09) 黑、White (M0) 白
    • PP barrel and cap guarantee a long service life
    • Available as bullet tip or brush tip

Ten Metallic Colors

I tested the pens on 120 gsm black paper and 180gsm white paper. The sequence is according to their code (i.e. White M0 > Gold M01 > Metallic Red M02...). 

Kindly Note: For the White (M0) 白 color, it's stated that it can't be used on white papers and that if you do use it, you would need to wait for a few seconds for the color to be displayed.  [It took around 5-6 seconds for it to start appearing. The longer I leave it alone, the better it becomes].

Swatching STA Metallic Markers on Black and White Paper

I did wait for it to dry then apply a second layer, however, some colors are still not visible on the black paper. On the white paper, their Silver (M08) 银 and Metallic Black (M09) 黑 are very similar. The same goes for their Gold (M01) 金 and Bronze (M04) 古铜. There's no bleeding at the back - it could be because the paper I used is thick.

After writing on paper, count to 5 before running your finger across or it will smudge. Also, I noticed that the fiber tips are starting to fray. Hopefully, it can last until I'm done with it. 

Testing it on Different Surfaces

These pens are advertised as multi-purpose where they are perfect for
  • card making, scrapbooking, journaling, mind mapping, calligraphy, hand-lettering, doodling, illustrations, sketching, painting, drawing, manga, graphic, rapidography, coloring, adult coloring books, gouache, rubber stamping

Some shops indicate that they're Wide Usage where it can be used on any surfaces like paper, glass, plastic, pottery, wood, and many more. Also, I noticed people were asking on Amazon.com if it works well on fabrics, whether it's truly waterproof, etc. So for the fun of it, I'm just gonna be putting them through various tests and see how well they fare.

 Color Paper 

I tested them on 5 different 80gsm color paper: green, blue, pink, orange, and purple. The colors do look juicy rich on them except for the white as it gives off a milky feel. There's slight bleeding at the back. Also, I sprayed / splashed / soaked the papers on water, it basically looks the same as before.

Using Metallic Color Pens on Various Colour Papers

 Fabric 

If you do want to use it on fabric, it's better to do it on light color and that the cloth is not too thin or it will bleed through, staining whatever surface underneath. Moreover, if your cloth is too stretchy or elastic, it will be a challenge to apply. So I then washed the cloth, one with water only, and the other cloth with detergent. Once dried it looks exactly like how it was - no smudge, not faded, etc. 

STA Metallic Color Pen are waterproof

 Plastic 

While the ink is still wet, you're able to wipe it off. I left it alone for a day so it could be completely dried. I find that under running water if you used your fingertips to try to wash it off, it'll still be there. However, if you're using your nails, then yes, they can be removed. 

Metallic Markers for drawing on Plastic Surfaces

 Wax Seal 

The colors look nice on wax seals. If you do rinse the wax seals under running water, I find only the white color can be washed off. 

Give your wax seals a splash of colors with STA Metallic Markers

Long Story Short

The tip seems like it won't last long, not all are visible on black paper and some colors would be better if it's more metallic. However, for a metallic marker pen that costs less than RM1 each, I think they are okay. (I bought the set of 10 for RM9.36, maybe you could buy them at a better price especially during promotion). 

Would I buy them again? Maybe individually - I like their Metallic Green (M05) 绿. 

Now the question is, will they be suitable for you? 

  1. Hexagonal Shape
    For me, I do find the pens comfortable to use where even after writing with it for about 2-3 hours, my fingers are not in pain nor my hand strained. However, some people do not like the hexagonal shape because they do find it hard to hold or uncomfortable. Maybe you can try finding a pencil (i.e. Stabilo Exam Grade 2B) or a color pencil (i.e. Faber-Castell Classic Color Pencils) in this shape and see whether it suits you.  

  2. Sensitive to Smell
    Some sellers do state that these pens are odorless but there is a smell on certain colors like their Gold (M01) 金, Metallic Red (M02) 红, Bronze (M04) 古铜, and Metallic Black (M09) 黑. Do I find it unpleasant? No. (But then I'm not sure about you 💁 )  Also, the odor does lessen if you leave it out for a while. 

  3. What do You Plan to Use it for?
    If you plan to use it on black paper then I don't think these are suitable. To use it on a wax seal, fabrics (the colors do stay after washing - not bad) for light coloring, etc., then sure why not. 

Thank you for reading my review. If you have any other questions on the STA Metallic Markers, just let me know by commenting below. I'll do my best to answer them. Have a great week ahead and stay safe :)


➤ Back to Top 


Comments

Popular Posts